This recipe is a conglomerate of several yummy recipes that I've put together to make a really. yummy. vegetarian. gluten free. veggie filled. lasagna.
You can also adapt this recipe. If you don't enjoy mushrooms, no problem - leave them out! Use another bell pepper instead. If you only have 2 zucchinis, no problem! Use more bell pepper or mushrooms.
The cottage cheese adds a lot of protein that a veggie lasagna sometimes lacks. And, with all of the veggies packed in there you've got a pretty balanced, delicious meal. I did serve mine with a fresh green salad for extra antioxidants and fiber.
- 1 box gluten free "no boil" Lasagna Noodles
- 2 Tablespoons grapseed oil
- 1 whole Medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 whole red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 zucchini, diced
- 1 can (28 Ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or basil, chopped (if you don't have this, just skip)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2-4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
For the filling:
- 2 cups full fat small curd cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for a minute. Add diced red peppers and saute for another minute or so. Add zucchini and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Pour in wine, add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and stir.
Pour in tomatoes. Stir to combine and let simmer for 20 minutes or so. Stir in chopped parsley or basil.
In a separate bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, dried parsley, salt, and pepper.
To assemble, spread a little of the vegetable/tomato sauce in a lasagna pan. Layer noodles in the pan, slightly overlapping them if necessary.
- Spread 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture on the noodles.
- Top the cottage cheese mixture with grated mozzarella.
- Spoon a little less than 1/3 of the veggie/sauce mixture over the mozzarella.
Repeat the layering two more times, ending with a large helping of vegetable sauce and a sprinkling of mozzarella.
Bake at 350 degrees, covered in foil, for 20 minutes, then remove foil and continue baking for an additional 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.