Needless to say, we felt we deserved a treat upon our arrival home. Hence: TACO NIGHT!
We grabbed a taco kit from the grocery store, and despite one or two preservatives/chemicals, the kit wasn't so bad... the tacos were made from corn flour so we decided that life is about moderation and we grabbed some fresh veggies, organic cheese and sour cream and cooked ourselves into a stress-free zone.
I improvised and made some "taco meat" with lentils, chopped red peppers and mushrooms and spices, and it turned out amazing! We definitely didn't miss the ground beef in this recipe; the flavours were the main attraction here!
- Taco kit (tacos, taco spices, taco sauce)
- Sour cream or Tofuetti (vegan sour cream)
- Organic marbled cheese, shredded (try Daiya vegan cheese or opt out of cheese if vegan)
- Fresh lettuce, shredded
- Fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 can of lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 large handful of cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- Start cooking onion over medium heat in large frying pan. Add lentils, red pepper and mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add taco spices and 1/2 cup of water, let cook down for about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350F and once heated, warm taco shells for 5 minutes
- Place shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and taco sauce in bowls and have your assembly line ready for serving!
** To up our veggie serving, I made a plate of lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado as well for a side salad.