To keep us going for long hours in the hot sun and carrying heavy bags of apples up and down ladders we really needed sustenance. This is one of the items that we would prepare several times a week to serve that purpose. It is full of protein and healthy fats to keep you full plus lots of fiber and anti-oxidants.
As a nice "cherry on top", it's delicious, gluten free, vegetarian, and very easy to make! I change up the recipe depending on what is in season or what I have in the fridge so you really never end up making the same salad twice.
- One can of chickpeas or mixed beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise or Vegannaise
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts or pumpkin seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Any or all of the following diced: cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, pickled beets, fresh grated beets, spinach, kale, dill pickles (actually quite good!!!), bell pepper
- Other options: Crumbled feta cheese, goat cheese, fresh herbs: cilantro, parsley, mint
- Mix the beans and veggies in a bowl together
- Add the mayo, sweet chili sauce, salt and pepper and toss to coat
- Taste and adjust the sauce as needed
- Top with feta or goat cheese or fresh herbs if you're using
**photo credit from food.com