This recipe is so indulgent and pleasing, I dare anyone who "hates Brussels sprouts", adult OR child, to try it out. I think it just might be the most tastiest way to get the wonderful benefits of this veggie in to your belly. This vegetable is high in fibre, vitamin C, indole-3-carbinol (a liver detoxifier) and very low on the glycemic index chart (important for you Ketogenic-ers or anyone with blood sugar dysregulation issues).
I found this Brussels Sprouts Gratin recipe on: bestrecipebox.com and I'm so glad I did! The recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, and very easily made grain free for Paleo or Ketogenic eaters. It is definitely not a low calorie dish, but I think we're all coming around to the fact that counting calories hasn't really served us very well. Eating a well balanced diet low in: sugar, inflammatory/processed foods, and simple carbohydrates is definitely the underlying theme to most beneficial diets these days (Mediterranean, Keto, Paleo, Vegan, etc.).
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as we did tonight!
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts , halved
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour (I used a gluten free flour, you can also sub coconut or almond flour to make it grain free)
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese , extra for topping if you like
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- Clean, trim stems of Brussels sprouts. Cut in half and keep all of loose leaves. Fill medium stock pot half way with water, bring to boil. Add Brussels sprouts, stirring in hot water and blanch quickly for about 2 minutes or until they turn bright green. Immediate drain. Do not cook Brussels sprouts too long and make them soft!
- In large pan melt butter, then add flour and quickly stir with whisk to combine and remove clumps. Turn off heat.
- Add milk, salt, cheese, mayo, garlic powder and black pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add Brussels sprouts and combine with cheese mixture. Pour into baking dish and bake for about 40-50 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender.
- If you want an extra cheese crusted, top with grated parmesan cheese before baking.