Poke bowls are a Hawaiian delicious dish that are naturally gluten free and dairy free. If you use tofu, then it's naturally vegan too! AND, if you choose kelp or veggies as your base, this is grain free. Not to mention healthy: full of colorful veggies and immune boosting garlic and ginger.
Like I said above, you don't need all of the ingredients, but I will bold which ones I think are the most important for a yummy bowl. You definitely want to marinate the tofu or fish, you need the sauce and a base... the toppings are where it gets fun!
- 1 block extra firm tofu cut into ¾ inch cubes (traditionally ahi tuna would be used)
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly at a diagonal
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice or 1/2 cup lemon juice (or a combination)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp cane sugar or honey
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
Pick a base for the bowl:
- brown rice
- kelp noodles
- zucchini noodles
- kale, baby spinach or mixed greens
- shredded cabbage, carrots
Pick a Protein:
- ahi tuna
Pick “mix-ins” (not all are required for deliciousness!):
- something pickled: pickled onions, cabbage, ginger, radish
- green onions
- cilantro, basil
- toasted sesame seeds
- fresh ginger
- grated carrots, beets
- radishes (I like mine pickled!)
- crispy onions (caramelize in a pan while mixing the other goodies)
- shredded cabbage
- pickled ginger
- If cooking rice or noodles, start and cook according to directions on the stove.
- Cut tofu (or fish) into ½- ¾ inch cubes. Place in a bowl. Add scallions, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds. Mix sesame oil, soy sauce and honey in a small bowl, then very gently mix with tofu or ahi to coat evenly, let marinate for 10-30 minutes.
- I like to quickly heat my tofu in a pan before serving, this is not a necessary step but it brings out some yummy flavours.
- Make the quick ponzu sauce, combining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Assemble bowls – Divide rice (or other base) among two bowls. Pile tofu, and surround with your additional toppings (avocado, cucumber, radish, sprouts, kimchi etc)
- Spoon the fresh ponzu sauce over the veggies and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve with chop sticks and Sriracha mayo if you please!