If you're feeling sluggish or heavy over the holidays from the abundance of rich meat and other foods, give this recipe a try. It is a great substitute for a burger patty, or eat without the bun topped with some pickled beets (for extra liver support!) and a dollop of mayo and a side of homemade potato wedges or brussel sprouts.
Another plus: very easy to make!!
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil or butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tbsp buckwheat flour (or another gluten free flour)
- 1 tsp dried oregano or thyme
- 1 small package of fine herb goat cheese (or try 2 oz of chopped feta)
- sea salt - 1/2 tsp
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Heat the oil or butter in a pan on medium heat. Add onion until softened, then add garlic and cook for a few minutes
3. Add in drained beans, and mash with a wooden spoon so the excess moisture evaporates out of the pan.
4. Transfer the bean mixture to a bowl and stir in the flour to combine.
5. Gently fold in the rest of the ingredients.
6. Form into patties (it should make about 6) and lay on a parchment paper lined tray, cook for about 15-20 minutes on each side until browned.