Everyone does their stuffing differently... so here is my recipe! Substituting a gluten free bread (Udi's Millet and Chia bread is my favourite for this) and using a vegan butter spread or coconut oil will make your dish gluten free and dairy free and vegetarian.
Also featured today is a vegetarian, gluten free gravy and a "healthy" mashed potato recipe. The recipe sneaks cauliflower into the mash. This lowers the glycemic index (sugar) content of the dish, ups the fiber content, and also gives our liver some love... cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable which has molecules to aid the detoxification pathways in our liver (which may be helpful if someone keeps topping up your wine glass at the table!)
Gluten free Stuffing with a dairy free option:
2 loaves Udi's gluten free Millet and Chia bread
1/4 cup of fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tsp dried sage
2 tsp dried thyme
4 tbsp of unsalted butter or vegan spread
2 onions (or 1 large onion) diced
1 cup of chopped celery diced
2 shallots, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
1 cup vegetable broth
Spread bread on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring occassionally, until dried and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool. Increase the oven temperature to 325°F.
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, melt butter or spread over medium heat. Add shallots, onions, celery and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and golden brown. Add sage, thyme, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add wine and continue to cook over medium heat until liquid is reduced by half.
Lightly coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with coconut oil. In a large bowl, combine vegetable mixture with bread cubes, veggie broth and parsley. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake until hot throughout and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Ingredients (from Ohsheglows.com):
- 1/2 tsp grapeseed oil
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion (1 medium onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups sliced crimini mushrooms (300 grams)
- 1.5 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tbsp low-sodium tamari (soy sauce)
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch (we used some gluten free flour instead)
- 1 & 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh chopped kale, stems removed
- Freshly ground black pepper & kosher salt, to taste
1. Grab a large skillet and heat oil over medium heat. Add in chopped onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for about 12 minutes longer, stirring as necessary. Now stir in the rosemary, nutritional yeast, and tamari. Cook for a few minutes.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the broth and cornstarch until clumps are gone, and then stir into the mushroom mixture. Stir in kale. Cook for another 5-6 minutes or so, until slightly thickened.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 floret of cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 3-4 white potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1-2 tbsp butter or vegan butter
- A splash of cream, milk, or alternative milk (coconut milk is nice and thick)
- Salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes for about 10 minutes, then add cauliflower.
- Cook until fork tender
- Add in your butter/vegan butter and mash with milk/alternative milk
- Salt and pepper to taste