You can see in the picture above the difference between the two. For this recipe, we're looking for the pale young fruit.
I've made a few dishes with jackfruit over the last week and I swear you could fool even the most skeptical meatatarians, it really does have the hearty consistency of chicken or pork!
This recipe is delicious and balances your protein, healthy fats, and veggies perfectly... and it's naturally gluten free and vegan. I found it from one of my favourite chefs: veganricha.com. I own her Vegan Indian cookbook as well and it's changed my life as her recipes are amazing!
You can adapt as you need; some folks may need to bring down the spiciness and some may want to add shredded cheese. Find yourself some jackfruit and try it out!
Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit:
- 1 20 oz can young green jackfruit
- 2 tsp oil, divided
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ to ¾ tsp cayenne
- ¼ to ½ tsp black pepper
- a good dash of cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice.
- 1 tsp or more lime juice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ to ½ tsp sugar or other sweetener
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans or 1.5 cups cooked
- ¼ tsp all spice
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp salt ( or to taste, depends on the beans)
- 1.5 tbsp orange juice or 2 tsp lemon juice + ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Chopped mango
- sliced cucumbers or pickles
- cilantro or baby greens
- salt, pepper, lemon or lime juice
Jamaican jerk Jackfruit:
- Drain the jackfruit and wash well. Squeeze out the liquid really well by pressing the jackfruit pieces in a paper napkin. Shred in a food processor (recommended) or thinly slice using a knife.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shredded jackfruit and all dry spices (if you are sensitive to spice limit the cayenne to 1/4 tsp) . Cook for 2-3 mins or until the spices start to smell roasted.
- Add lime juice and water and sugar and cook partially covered for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture is dry, taste and adjust salt and heat. Add in the 1 tsp oil and continue to roast the jackfruit until golden brown on some edges.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. 4-5 mins.
- Add black beans, spices, water and orange or lime juice and simmer for 10 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Layer the black beans, cilantro or chopped greens, then a good helping of the jerk jackfruit, then cucumber and mango, avocado, lemon, salt and pepper. Fold into a burrito and serve. You can use any wrap that you would like although I've found that store bought gluten free wraps are very fragile... I've stared making my own using this recipe: www.glutenfreebaking.com/how-to-make-gluten-free-flour-tortillas/