By adding cauliflower with potatoes you increase the nutritional value, lower the starch and simple carbohydrate content of the mash, and help support your liver all at the same time! Not to mention, with this delicious mushroom gravy, no taste is lost in the process. The golden and red beets also give your liver and gallbladder added support with their antioxidants and goodness. We threw in the chickpeas for their protein content at the last minute.
This seems like many steps, but trust me, it is easier than it looks and so delicious that it doesn't matter!
Mushroom Gravy Ingredients (from Ohsheglows.com):
- 1/2 tsp grapeseed oil
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion (1 medium onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups sliced crimini mushrooms (300 grams)
- 1.5 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tbsp low-sodium tamari (soy sauce)
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch (we used some gluten free flour instead)
- 1 & 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh chopped kale, stems removed (sadly, we didn't have kale this time)
- Freshly ground black pepper & kosher salt, to taste
2. Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for about 12 minutes longer, stirring as necessary. Now stir in the rosemary, nutritional yeast, and tamari. Cook for a few minutes.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the broth and cornstarch until clumps are gone, and then stir into the mushroom mixture. Stir in kale. Cook for another 5-6 minutes or so, until slightly thickened.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 floret of cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 3-4 white potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1-2 tbsp butter or vegan butter
- A splash of cream, milk, or alternative milk
- Salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes for about 10 minutes, then add cauliflower.
- Cook until fork tender
- Add in your butter/vegan butter and mash with milk/alternative milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Peel and cut beets into chunks
- Wrap into tin foil packages and cook for about 40 minutes or until tender (this will take longer with larger chunks of beets)
- Open a can of chickpeas and place a handful on each plate.
- Top with mashed potatoes and gravy.
- Plate a few beets on the side