This dish was so easy. So delicious. So gluten free. And could be so many other things... it's very easy to switch things up to your liking! We added lots of fresh veggies and indulged with cheese and sour cream, but this dish would taste great vegan... or with some chicken if you are so inclined! We were actually inspired by an amazing little cafe in Chester called the Compass Rose. It had vegetarian, gluten free options, lovely sidewalk seats to sit with our pups, awnings to shade us from the brilliant sun...what more could you ask for? Go check it out!
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 1 red pepper diced... or green, yellow, orange...
- 1 handful cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 of a zucchini, diced
- 1 handful swiss chard, chopped.... or spinach, kale...
- 1 handful frozen corn
- 1 cup of uncooked extra-long grain rice
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 cups of veggie broth
- 2 cups of colby jack, monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and pepper
- freshly diced tomatoes
- diced green onions
- diced romaine lettuce
- sour cream
- cilantro leaves (we didn't have this but I really wish we did!)
- Sauté onions in 2 tablespoon of olive oil until they start to soften. ***
- Add peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, corn, swiss chard and briefly saute.
- In the other side of the pan add an additional tablespoon of olive oil and sauté uncooked rice for about 2 minutes or just until some grains start to turn golden brown.
- Stir in black beans, canned tomatoes, broth, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese, recover and let set for 2-3 off heat to melt cheese.
- Garnish with fresh tomatoes, green onions, romaine lettuce, cilantro, sour cream and guacamole.
** For the vegans: leave out the cheese and sour cream!
*** For the meatatarians: add diced boneless, skinless chicken breasts to the sauteing onions with salt and pepper over medium heat until it starts to brown.