You can put this sauce on pasta, rice, quinoa, or gluten free gnocchi (I found this at Bulk Barn!). Serve along side of a yummy kale salad.
1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 cup onion, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
2 cups vegetable stock
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper, to taste
handful of kale, diced
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup cream
**Make this recipe dairy free by substituting the cream for full fat coconut milk and omit the parmesan cheese or replace it with nutritional yeast
- Place squash flesh side up and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Bake at 400F for 20-30 minutes or until barely fork tender
- Heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cooked squash and cook another minute.
- Pour in veggie stock, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook 8-10 minutes or until squash is very tender.
- Remove bay leaf and puree until completely smooth.
- While still hot, stir in diced kale so it cooks down slightly
- Stir in cheese and cream (or nutritional yeast and coconut milk).
- Toss with cooked gnocchi, pasta, or place over rice/quinoa and serve with pepper, if desired.
Big thanks to laurenslatest.com for the recipe that I adapted and restlesspalate.com for the photo... again, we ate this so fast that there was no time for a photo!